After an academic year of studying many of you are now embarking on various internships within many industries. I know it’s summer vacation, but don’t take it easy, now is where the real work begins. This is where you prove to your employer that you should be considered for a full-time opportunity or for another position within upcoming summers or during the academic year. Maybe you secured the internship because of stellar grades and/ or strong campus involvement. While that was enough to get you in, it isn’t sufficient to keep your bosses impressed. If you want to make a positive impression keep the following tips in mind:
- You are being watched and your performance is being assessed at all times.
- Ask yourself how can I add value or make a meaningful contribution to this organization?
- Double, triple and quadruple check your assignments for accuracy and clarity.
- On time is late and 15 minutes early is on time.
- Ask thoughtful questions.
- If you are not challenged enough, don’t chill out , speak up ask for more meaty assignments.
- Treat EVERYONE with respect, be professional and courteous at all times
- Network with associates in other departments and other interns (Lunch dates are great start)
- Your duties and responsibilities are your first priority, not texting or social networking
- Request feedback from your hiring manager/supervisor
These tips will should help position you as a great candidate for a full-time opportunity or another internship next summer. Are there any other tips that are helpful that should be included? Let me know.